Wednesday 28 July 2010

Lasso Painting

I've always had an appreciation for the Looney Tunes background artists of the 40s and 50s, One artist who springs to mind  is Paul Julian. Julian's use of colour and  perspective resulted in a truly cinematic and engaging stage for characters like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck Porky Pig and many others.

So, what's that got to do with Lasso Painting? A recent summer trip to California I took with my wife seems to be inspiring a series of paintings based on the 1000s of photos we took between us. I enjoy painting the detailed and generally more time consuming illustrations, but for practice I've decided to get into the habit of quickly illustrating less complicated backgrounds/characters using only the Lasso tool and a single brush in Photoshop. Stay tuned for 'Lasso Paintings'